Friday 3 September 2010

Zombie love and banana bread recipe

I had a horror-tastic August Bank Holiday weekend by going to a couple of screenings at Film Four's Fright Fest in Leicester Square.

First, I took part in Andy Nyman's Quiz from Hell. There were questions that I was proud to know the answer to eg who was Michael Myer's first victim? I also kicked myself for not remembering that "Don't Stop me now" by Queen was in the Shaun on the Dead soundtrack. (Doh!) I think that I answered roughly half of the questions correctly. Twas fun.

The quiz was immediately followed by a wide selection of short horror films. There was great variety to behold from killer vacuum cleaners, a dad administering bloody revenge on the kids who stole his son's lunch box and, my personal favourite, zombie romance. Ahhh!

So, 9,20pm on Monday and I was sat surrounded by fellow fans eagerly awaiting the arrival of Eli Roth and his fellow cast and crew to introduce "The Last Exorcism." I was slightly apprehensive because Eli's films have a reputation of including very graphic violence. However, this time, he produced and chose to work with Daniel Stamm, a director who focusses more on the characters and the decisions that they make. He also creates some very creepy moments that had me watching with my hand over my mouth to prevent screaming. (That is my default horror film watching position. If my hand is over my mouth, I am very scared!)

The film is about Cotton Marcus, (played by a charismatic Patrick Fabian.) He is a Louisiana preacher who fakes exorcisms for money. He has become disillusioned with this, so he agrees to let a documentary crew to film his last "exorcism" and all the tricks behind it. Job done, he takes the money and returns to his motel only to find the possessed girl, still possessed and waiting for him in his room.

Great acting all round especially from Ashley Bell who makes you want to hug her one minute, then run away from her in terror the next. The "counting to ten" scene is chilling.

The ending is unpredictable and has sparked some controversy. I'm not going to spoil anything. Go and see the film and make your own mind up.

Finally, there was a Q+A session with Eli Roth and his colleagues followed by a signing session. I now have all their signatures. (Happy Bunyip:) I hope that Eli and Daniel collaborate on more horror projects. And before I forget, the banana bread scene is hilarious. Thanks guys:)

No comments:

Post a Comment