Monday 2 August 2010

Revisiting Clapham

Navy Street in Clapham was the first place I lived when I moved to London in December 1996. I shared a flat with two lovely girls, Caroline and Amy. I loved being near the wide green space of the common and going to see films at the Clapham Picture House. I even managed to catch the Pet Shop Boys performing at Pride when it took place on the common. Fantastic.

Saturday was my friend, Victoria's birthday celebrations at the Alexander pub. I left my home in West Hampstead one and a half hours before this momentous occasion, thinking that I'd have time to grab a bite to eat at one of Clapham's many restarants. That proved a bit optimistic for the Northern Line was out of service between Kennington and Mordon due to ... you guessed it... engineering works. After being unable to embark upon two buses outside Kennington tube station, I nearly gave up and return to north of the river. Glad I didn't. Had a great evening catching up with Victoria and looking out as dusk fell over the common. I should visit again sometime soon, as long as the Northern Line isn't out of action.

PS: Farewell Cafe Wanda. You were a really nice Polish cafe with lots of naughty cream cakes that seems to have been replaced by a BBQ restaurant. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment